First stop… I hit the Rock & Republic fashion show for Kohls where I wore the coolest red skinny jeans for 80$ and sat next to the hottest players on Gossip Girl: Ed Westwick, Penn Badgley, singer Ashley Simpson, and actress Molly Sims.
Next stop, I hit the tents at Lincoln Center to check out one of my favs Jill Stuart where Ramses Bardan of the NY Giants and I sat and checked out the rocker glam jewel toned looks, and lace cut out dresses. I spent the entire time explaining the allure of an expensive-looking woman to my new fashion bestie. Maybe someday he can repay me by teaching me football (and how to win a Superbowl)! HOT tip: I sprayed hair spray on my tights backstage to reduce static cling from my dress. Nice work, Alnett.
Directly after, I met my two girls and took them to the ultimate fashion closet, the Barbie dream closet, where we tried on virtual gowns. The girls fell in love with everything PINK all while posing with real “living” Barbie models.
For the Nylon Magazine party, my thirteen year old daughter Sea dressed me in Blue Rogan jeans, ballet flats, and a Theory fur. The Soho Mondrian thanked me and my pants for attending on twitter.
Then the GRAMMY’S took me by storm with Fergie in orange lace, and blonde beach girl Rihanna in a backless gown that made the back the new cleavage.
For the men, CFDA winner, Michael Bastian showed us a sea of hot male models in the color purple, Charlie Brown sweaters, and proved the tailored old-English country man is still alive and well. Sport coats, tightly knotted ties and vivid socks peeking out of smokin slipper in needlepoint and velvet made the looks complete, even with the help of a bull dog in tow. At Alice and Olivia, Stacey Bendet takes whimsical girly to another level. With a bevy of killer hot ball gowns, high-waisted pants, sparkly cocktail dress, and with singers Matt and Kim in attendance and doing photos ops with me for Magnum, as in ice cream, the presentation was unexpected and definitely flirty.
My fashion moment was at JCrew, where head design honcho, Jenna Lyons, sent me a bright green sequin skirt, and iconic fashion street photog Bill Cunningham took pictures of me. Bright sequin is one of Spring 2012 biggest trends and the new yoga pant, for I made no excuses for wearing it at 9 am.
But I have to admit the highlight of the past few days was meeting Joan Rivers, who said I was her favorite REAL HOUSEWIFE. Talk about a compliment, and there was no punchline, just a hug. Phew!
The one thing I’m reminded of throughout the holiday season is to stand up for those who are less fortunate.
Since the age of 15, I’ve volunteered at the Salvation Army, and today, I’m lucky enough to work with organizations like the Food Bank for New York City, Generosity Water and MSG’s Garden of Dreams Foundation.
Which is why, this holiday season, I find myself dressing in an understated yet chic way. I do this to show thanks to all of the local heroes who go beyond their comfort zone to do something special for those less fortunate. Like Angelina Jolie, I’ve recently opted for suits because they embody sophistication. I’m loving dark blue and white versions by Rogan, chic Chloe tops and ’50s-inspired Marc Jacobs sweaters.
For this year’s Holiday Rock & Roll Bash, hosted by James Dolan of Cablevision (amNewYork’s parent company), not only was $1.7 million raised for the Lustgarten Foundation for Pancreatic Cancer Research, but the party drew an amazing crowd with Jim at the helm of his band, JD & the Straight Shot. This week, I also took a group of children from the Garden of Dreams Foundation to see the Radio City Christmas Spectacular, and it was a delight to watch them enjoy the show.
And for those who love fashion and philanthropy (my favorite combo), I recently put a pair of worn-once Jimmy Choos up for auction on eBay, with 100% of the profits being donated to Generosity Water to provide clean water wells in Ghana.
This week, I shot the cover photo for my upcoming book — “I Can Make You Hot” — which St. Martin’s Press is releasing in spring 2012.
For me, being “hot” is having confidence and taking leaps of faith without regret. For the St. Martin’s art director, Ervin Serrano, inspiration came from some photos taken by Seth Sabal, which evoke the new all-American girl: great hair, great smile, fresh feeling, and an easy and relaxed look.
All this book-cover image talk got me thinking about bringing the idea of the iconic all-American ’70s “Breck Girl” (of shampoo-commercial fame), back to the streets of New York in a modern way.
Some of my favorite pieces for reinventing the “Breck Girl”: H&M sequin styles, a fedora by Theory, Rogan’s Svelte Skinny Jeans, Prada oxford loafers, ’40s-inspired sapphire-blue silk blouses from Calypso St. Barth, and or red patent Repetto ballet flats (which my ex-husband got for me on his trip to Paris – so thoughtful!).
When wearing these styles, fashion lovers, make sure you always channel cool .
1. Black Sheer top with Cream flowers- Loomstate
2. Navy Rogan Blazer, white Rogan T-Shirt, Helen Ficalora Necklaces
3. Black Dress- Ava Maria
4. Navajo Sweeter- Gap, Brown Vest- Rugby, White Collar Shirt- Gap, Jeans-
5. White Collar Shirt- BCBG
6. Dark Gray Lace Zara Dress
7. Black Top- Loomstate
8. Black Top- Zara, Jeans- AG
1. Gap White Button Down Shirt, Linea Pelle Bag, Polka Dot Shorts, Helen Ficalora Necklaces, Stainless Air King Rolex Watch
2. White Rogan Blazer, Helen Ficalora Necklaces
3. White Dress Claude Montana, Sneakers Gray Converse, Helen Ficalora Necklaces, Rolex Watch
4. Animal Haven T-Shirt, Helen Ficalora necklaces
5. Long Black Nili Lotan Dress, Black Bottega Veneta Pointy
6. BCBG White Eyelet Shirt
7. Hanii Y Black Blazer, Hanii Y Olive Green Skirt, Nilli Lotan Black Velvet Tank Top
8. Calypso White Top, Gap Jeans
1. Black Dress Azzedine Alaia
2. Beige Chiffon Dress Zac Posen
3. Beige Trench- Theory, Black Shiny Leggings- Skweeze Couture , Black Long Sleeve Scoop Neck- JCrew, Air King Stainless Watch- Rolex, Evil Eye Wrap Bracelet, Red and Gold Knot Bracelet- Masion 24, Necklaces and Pinky Ring- Helen Ficalora
4. Blue Button Down- Gap, Red and Gold Knot Bracelet- Masion 24, Necklaces and Pinky Ring- Helen Ficalora
5. Green Shirt- Geminola, Black Blazer- Rogan, Red and Gold Knot Bracelet- Masion 24, Necklaces and Pinky Ring- Helen Ficalora
6. Navy and Purple “Kisses” Dress- Jill Stuart, Hot Pink- Manolo Blahnik
7. White Eyelet Buttondown- BCBG, Red and Gold Knot Bracelet- Masion 24 , Necklaces and Pinky Ring- Helen Ficalora